Monday, October 05, 2009

Don't Pay the Ransom...I escaped!

Well hello. That's right, I didn't fall off of the face of the earth, or get that ever-elusive big-time radio or newspaper job. No, instead, I have been held captive on a ship with no internet, but you need not pay that ransome note (which I'm sure that all of you have gotten together and organized a fund-raising drive for my lovely wife), because, using the guile and cunning of a fugitive, I escaped so that I could come back to all of you fine people and get back to the really important things in life....sports!!
In fact, there has been so much that has transpired in the world of sports since my last posting, it's difficult to know where to start.
Let's see...Jeff Gordon has gone on to have a decent season in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series. Again, he's having trouble winning races, even though he has consistenlty finished in the top 10 or top 5. He made the Chase, so, once again, at least he has a chance. But does anyone really have a chance against that monster known as the 48 Lowe's Chevrolet, or more specifically, Jimmy Johnson? Johnson continues to be one of the, if not THE, premier driver in the sport and is sitting pretty in the Chase for the Cup.
Johnson has four wins again so far this season, just one behind current points leader Mark Martin.
And speaking of "the old man," as he's fondly referred to in NASCAR circles, what about the year he's having? Martin, who's gone back to a full-time ride with Hendrick Motor Sports, has started every race this year, won five of them, and is currently leading the Chase by 18 points over three-time defending champion Johnson.
So, the 24 team has their work cut out for themselves. Right now, Gordon is in seventh place in the Chase, 103 points behind Martin.
That covers NASCAR. To avoid having this piece drag on to 10,000 words, I'll do my catching up one piece at a time. Ciao for now.

No comments: